Exeter Diocesan Prayer Diary
“If you abide in me and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will and it will be done for you.”John 15:7
Fri 1st– Sat 9thFebruary
This week as we mark the start of Marriage Week we pray for all married couples we know. Whether newly married or married a long time, we thank God for their love and commitment and for the inspiration it brings to others.
1. For the Dart and Avon Mission Community, their clergy Tom Benson, Fiona Wimsett, Readers John Vinton, David Harwood, Jenny Holton and for all who live and worship in Staverton with Landscove, South Brent, Rattery, Littlehempston, Dean Prior and Buckfastleigh.
2. At Candlemas we pray: As we celebrate Jesus’ Presentation in the Temple we thank God for sending Jesus to be the Light of the World. God who dispels darkness, come to be with us, in each one of our situations; come to live among us, live with us and in us and come to fill the distances that divide and separate us. Amen.
3. For the Dartmouth & Dittisham Mission Community, their clergy Will Hazlewood, Bob Boyle, Andrew Langley and for all who live and worship in Dittisham and Dartmouth Saint Clement (Townstal).
4. In our link with Melanesia we give thanks for the two newest Bishops of Melanesia, the Rt Revd James Tama, Bishop of Vanuatu and Rt Revd Reverend Rickson George Maomaoru, Assistant Bishop of Malaita, who will be attending the new Bishops’ Course in Canterbury in early February, and then visiting this Diocese 11th– 13thFebruary. We pray that they receive a warm welcome to the UK.
5. For the members of the Mothers’ Union from across our Diocese who will be gathering together for their triennial service in the Cathedral today. We give thanks for all their work to uphold and strengthen family life and much more.
6. For everyone attending and leading safeguarding training today in Barnstaple, 11thand 14thin Exeter and 28thin Barnstaple.
7. We pray today for the meeting of our Bishops, Archdeacons and Rural Deans, praying for vision and energy as they seek God’s will for the life of our Diocese.
8. Pray for the work of all our Education Chaplains, particularly Jonny Baker and team, working at St Peter’s School in Exeter.
9. For the Bishop’s Diocesan Council meeting today. For the first meeting of the triennium and particularly for the new council members.
Sun 10th– Sat 16thFebruary
This week as we mark Racial Justice Sunday we pray for all people. Where there is corruption, greed and injustice we pray for unity that is found in diversity built on solidarity and collaboration.
10. On Racial Justice Sunday we pray: God of all, you have shown us the path of justice. You are the father of the orphan. You are the constant companion of the widow. You are the friend of the stranger. In each of these, may we meet you and recognise the wind of your Spirit, moving us toward the need for justice. In all that we do may we know your grace and mercy and offer healing and justice in your name. Amen.
11. Pray for all our hospital chaplains and in particular for Lead Chaplain Simon Harrison, and chaplains Juliet Horwood, Sheila Swarbrick and Celia Fox, working at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.
12. Pray today for the Bishop’s Staff as they meet together.
13. For the East Exeter Mission Community, their clergy Tanya Hockley-Still, John Byatt, Readers John Trickett, Tina Smith, David Smith and for all who live and worship in Whipton Saint Boniface, Saint Matthew with Saint Sidwell Exeter and Saint Mark Exeter.
14. For the Edgemoor Mission Community, their clergy David Baker, Penny Lawson, Alastair Forman, Reader Richard Holloway and for all who live and worship in West Anstey, Rose Ash, North Molton with Twitchen, Molland, Mariansleigh, Knowstone, High Bray, East Anstey, Charles and Bishopsnympton.
15. For the Elburton Mission Community, their priest Tom Brassil, Reader Alan Hart and for all who live and worship in Elburton.
16. In our link with Thika we are asked to pray for the vicar and people of Gitwe, a parish which has experienced amazing transformation through ‘Umoja’ Church and Community Mobilisation Process.
Sun 17th– Sat 23rdFebruary
This week we pray for all head teachers, teachers and staff working at our church schools. During this half term week may they, and the children and families, have a good break, and return refreshed and renewed.
17. In our link with the Diocese of Bayeux-Lisieux in France, we pray for the Bishop of Bayeaux-Lisieux and the Vicar-General: Mgr Jean-Claude Boulanger and Père Xavier Signarout. And for the Bishop’s Council.
18. For the Exeter Network Church Mission Community and their priest Jon Soper.
19. For all Permission to Officiate clergy and Readers in our Diocese, who give so much of their time and energy to Church life in many ways.
20. For the General Synod of the Church of England as they meet until 23rd. For helpful debates and vision for the way forward for our Church.
21. For the Five Alive Mission Community, their clergy Simon Holloway, Nigel Mason, Reader Gill Heighway and for all who live and worship in Yarcombe, Stockland, Shute, Kilmington and Dalwood.
22. For the Five Red Churches Mission Community, their priest John Williams, Reader Ceri Lee and for all who live and worship in Powderham, Kenton with Mamhead, Kenn and Exminster.
23. For the Forder Valley Mission Community, their clergy Chris Routledge, Keith Murphy, Carl Budden and for all who live and worship in Eggbuckland with Estover.
Sun 24th– Thur 28thFebruary
This week as we begin Fairtrade Fortnight we pray for perseverance to continue working for a world that is fair for all. Pray for all events taking place over these two weeks which will challenge our complacency in the face of injustice and poverty.
24. For the Exe Valley Mission Community, their clergy Steph Gordon-Jeffs and for all who live and worship in Withleigh, Washfield, Templeton, Stoodleigh, Rackenford, Oakford, Loxbeare, Cruwys Morchard and Calverleigh.
25. For the Four Ways Mission Community, their priest Shaun O'Rourke, Readers Peter Rozzell, Christopher James and for all who live and worship in West Buckland, Swimbridge, Landkey and East Buckland.
26. In our link with Cyprus and the Gulf, we pray for Deryneia and the St John the Evangelist Church within the Ammochostos parish.
27. For all those being confirmed in a special service in Dartmouth today.
28. For the Fremington Mission Community, their clergy Steve Goodbody, Keith Brimacombe, Tom Simpson and for all who live and worship in Westleigh, Instow and Fremington.
Information included in this prayer diary is taken from the diocesan database, where people have given us permission to do so, and was accurate at the time of publication. If there are any changes please email firstname.lastname@example.org